The rate of lawsuits filed in federal courts related to website and app accessibility has now hit a rate of one-an-hour—that’s 8 per day, 40 per week, and possibly over 2,000 lawsuits this year. Research of federal dockets shows that cases settle—and settle fast. Most cases do not go into discovery and do not even last 60 days before they are voluntarily dismissed. Why? It’s cheaper to settle than defend. And the lawyers filing these cases know that.
The startling statistic is that many defendants in these cases have been sued more than once—25% of cases are filed against a defendant that has already been sued and settled with another plaintiff.
Who Is Most at Risk? Top Industries:
- Hospitality and tourism;
- Food Service;
- Banking and credit unions; and
- Entertainment venues.
Top 5 Jurisdictions (for the second year, in order):
- New York,
- New Jersey, and
What Can You Do?
- Assemble a team including e-commerce, marketing, IT, web developers, compliance, legal and senior leadership.
- Develop a plan to bring all websites for all brands into compliance.
- Get into full compliance with WCAG 2.0 AA quickly.
- Place someone in charge of maintaining ongoing compliance and periodic auditing.
Source Data: UsableNet: ADA Midyear Report